The restaurants mentioned here are not only in Rome and Toronto but also include those we’ve enjoyed in other places. I’m a little behind with my list so apologies for the unfinished state of this page!
- Pesce Fritti: Via di Grotta Pinta #8; tel 06-6880-6170. Near Campo de’Fiori and a few doors down from Teatro Pompeii. Good for fish. Opens at 8pm. Moderate prices.
- Ristorante Il Gabriello: Via Vittoria #51; tel 06-6994-0810. Between Via del Corso and Spanish Steps. Full of tourists in the early evening as it’s mentioned in Rick Steve’s Guidebook but fills up with Romans later. Food is good and prices are moderate.
- La Quercia: Piazza della Quercia #23; tel 06-6830-0932. Near Campo de’Fiori and close to Galleria Spada. Good Roman cuisine at reasonable prices.
- Necci: Via Fanfulla da Lodi #68; tel 06-97601552. Neighbourhood restaurant in Pigneto. Funky, family friendly and cheap.
- Ristorante Pizzeria San Callisto: Piazza di San Callisto #9/A; tel 339-278-0295. Near the church of Santa Maria in Trastevere. Great for lunch; serves seasonal pastas.
- Osteria Friulana: Piazza Mattei. Near Fontana dei Tartarughe on the edge of the Ghetto. Very good prosciutto and mozarella, good for lunch or a light meal.
- Maxeia: Via delle Coppelle #10 – 13; tel 06-6821-0313. Near Piazza Navona. A Butcher’s shop with a restaurant attached. Read ‘Meat Lover’s Paradise’.
Aperitivi in Rome
- Mercato: Campo de’Fiori. ‘Happy Hour’ begins at 6pm and there is a buffet of fairly substantial snacks including salads, crostini, pizza etc. Great if you need a filler before going to a movie or show and intend to grab a bite after.
- Cybo Wine Bar: Via di Tor Millina #27. Near Piazza Navona.
- Circus (47 Hotel). Via Petroselli #47. Near the Temple of Vesta close to the Tiber. This bar on the roof terrace is not cheap but has a spectacular view. Best option if there are 4 people is to order a bottle of Prosecco which is cheaper than buying single drinks.
Outside of Rome
Urbinati. Lungomare P. Toscanelli #121, tel 39-06-567-2424 . On the seafront in Ostia. Excellent for fish. We had one of our most memorable meals there.
Il Grillo e’ Buoncantore: Piazza XX Settembre #10, tel 39-0578-20112. The ingredients are locally sourced and the food is very good.